Creating your plan to move from poverty to a stable and secure future.
Building Resources for a better life.
What is Getting Ahead?
Getting Ahead is a 16-week course that encourages participants to build resources and create a plan that will help them to begin to make changes that will lead to a stable and secure future.
Through activities and group discussions, participants explore the causes of poverty, community and individual resources, and strategies for goal setting and planning.
Who can enroll?
Individuals and families who live in Washington and Greene Counties who meet certain income guidelines. Residents can call for more information on those guidelines.
What is covered?
- The “Hidden Rules” of the economic classes
- Stages of change for participants
- Community and individual resources
- Research on the causes of poverty
- Self-assessments to help with planning
- Looking ahead to your future
- Goal setting
- Creating an individual plan to get out of poverty
- And more!
- 16 weeks
- Wednesday evenings
- 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- February 12, 2014 - June 4, 2014
- Attendance is required at 75% or more of the classes
- Classes are held at Community Action Southwest - 150 West Beau Street in Washington, PA
- A workbook and class materials
- Dinner at each class
- Childcare (if needed)
- Gift card incentives each week
- A graduation bonus
How can I apply?
Click HERE to fill out an application. If there isn't a spot open or a session coming up soon, we will add you to a waitlist.
For more information on Getting Ahead, call 1-877-814-0788 ext. 427.
Community Action Southwest receives a grant from the United Way of Washington County to operate a portion of this program.